A fertile woman can only get pregnant through sex on a certain time of their monthly cycle. This will either be during ovulation or few days before ovulation, this certain time is called the fertile window.
Fertile window is the period or days in a woman’s cycle in which pregnancy is possible. It can possibly last for seven days out of your cycle, the odds of conceiving at the far ends of that time period are small.
It’s important to note that by 12-24 hours after ovulation, a woman is no longer able to get pregnant during that menstrual cycle because the egg is no longer in the fallopian tube. So if your trying to get pregnant, timing is your best help.
How To Calculate Fertile Window
Eggs and sperm cannot live for long in the woman’s body, as such to get the fertile window, calculation need to be made to determine when both egg and sperm are viable for pregnancy to occur.
To do this, you need to know the length of your menstrual cycle (which tends to vary from 23 to 35 days). Your cycle length is the number of days between the first day of bleeding of one period, and the first day of bleeding of the next.
From this figure, subtract 14 days from the end of your current cycle to determine the approximate day you ovulate.
You are more likely to get pregnant if intercourse occurs between the last three days before ovulation and on the ovulation day.
Signs Of Ovulation
- Increase in basal body temperature by ½ or 1 degree.
- Breast tenderness
- Increased sex drive
- Raw egg-white like cervical mucus
- Slight pain or cramps (mittelschmerz)
- Light spotting
- Slight increase in lutenizing hormone, (LH).
- Changes in mode
- Heightened sense of smell
- Your vulva or vagina may appear swollen.
Helpful Tips For Getting Pregnant
- Find out when you’ll ovulate using our calculator, an ovulation predictor kit, or by tracking your symptoms.
- Have sex during the two or three days before you ovulate.
- Stop every unhealthy habits, and start taking folic acid before you start trying.
- Stop worrying as it can delay ovulation.